Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pragueovat


Hey everyone!


 I finally decided to update my blog (you're welcome Sara).
So much has happened:
I went to Budapest
Got my wallet stolen in Prague
And I almost got  thrown in Czech jail!!!

Luckily I've met some pretty awesome Jenny and Jennifers!

Budapest:


Yeah so...
I had my scariest day here on Thursday. It all started on Wednesday night, at Sasazu--only recommended on nights without U2 cover bands--I lost my wallet while I was standing in line talking to someone. IDs, debit cards, room key, Tram pass, CLIMBING WALL PASS--all gone! To top off the frantic evening I was blessed with the privilege of walking home without the coat I came with after a pleasant conversation with the "coat-checker"-it was such a hassle to wear that thing anyway.
Riding the metro Thursday morning for language class was like a Stephen King novel-dodging the men in the black suits.Riding the metro without a pass is a fine of 700 Korunas on the spot. This is like the equivalent of $30. 
We finally made it off of the metro and were taking the 22 Tram to class. I had Czech homework to finish so I was completely fine with sitting on the floor of the tram to work. It totally slipped my mind that you also have to have a pass to ride the tram. What better way to stand out in a foreign country than by making the public transportation your personal desk?
Just as I became fixated on ordering "smezeny syr" and saying "dekuju" in my Czech workbook a hand extends before my face holding what looked like a classy coin. My first thought was "oh thanks but I'm fine sitting on the floor." But he wasn't offering a coin or a hand-it was the badge of the Czech Controllers, in charge of public transportation.
I totally panicked. I don't think I've been shaky out of fear since middle school in the principal's office. 
The guard - "pass."
In addition to the enormous language barrier, my shaking only aided in me sounding like a blatint liar when I replied, "I don't have it, it was stolen."
"700 CROWNS"
"But I don't have any money-I don't have anything-It was stolen."
Suddenly another one comes up and they corner me.
"You can search my bag I don't have anything."
"CZECH LAW 700 CROWNS!"
"I'll just get off this next stop-I'm sorry."
"NO! CZECH LAW 700 CROWNS!"
I got my phone out to call AIFS-THE STARS BEGAN ALIGNING-THEY CAN HELP ME!


no service.
In the process of digging for my phone, my workbook fell on the floor. I assume one of the guards read what I was studying. They ordered me to follow them off of the tram. 
As soon as I stepped off they literally disappeared.



Mustache Madness
We wanted one too...
I have to be creative...

Good reads this semester:

No comments:

Post a Comment